Sunday, October 28, 2007

Native American territories

A local Seneca Indian asked me to create two maps indicating the original territories of the native people in New York State and the current territories of those same tribes. The maps were for a class she teaches about local native history.

Current territories
This map I created from scratch in Photoshop. Speaking with the client, she indicated the size and location of the territories and I color-coded and sized the areas.


Original territories
The client gave me a printout of an old hand-drawn, and honestly, quite confusing map of the original tribal territories of the area. Speaking with her, I distilled the information in a less complex way and recreated the map in Photoshop, coloring the territories to distinguish them but still keeping the look and feel of the original map.