Saturday, October 27, 2007

Weekend Covers

The following are the covers for the Democrat and Chronicle's weekly entertainment magazine - Weekend. I am the principal designer of the magazine and do the covers weekly. Here are a some of my favorites.

Park Ave. Summer Arts Fest, July 31, 2008
Another year for the Park Ave. Festival. I tried something different, to go with the art theme of the event, so I created the grunge sun in Photoshop and applied filters to a file photo of the crowd at the event and then overlaid them on top of each other to create an old poster effect.


Cabaret, January 10, 2008
This was the cover for a touring show of Cabaret that came to town. I love the way the lighting in the photo, the font and especially the color work to make a cohesive, eye-catching design.


Halloween, October 25, 2007
This year, I went with an illustration I created in Photoshop. I used the paintbrush to create the layered glowing effect and twisted the text to make it look like the jack-o-lantern's teeth.


Clothesline Festival, September 6, 2007
Because all of the events on this cover were popular events, I tossed out the typical layout and did more even treatments for all the events.


Velvet Revolver, August 16, 2007
I decided to play with the text and did a distressed look with the main refer to go with the look of the band.


Vans Warped Tour, August 9, 2007
Because this particular event attracts the younger part of our magazine's audience, I went with a montage of the metal and rock bands expected to play - something edgier for an edgier event.


Park Ave. Summer Arts Fest, August 2, 2007
For this installment of the Park Ave. festival, I created an illustration in Photoshop.


Sweet Charity, February 8, 2007
I used the silhouette of Molly Ringwald to make her the focal point of the page.


Christmas, December 21, 2006
I wanted to play around with something iconic for this holiday cover so I took file shots of generic holiday bulbs and cropped, dodged and burned the images to make them appear superimposed on the bulbs.


Halloween, October 26, 2006
I not only came up with the conceptual idea for this cover. I was also the model.


Art Walk Alive!, September 14, 2006
With this cover, there was no file art of the event that would work on the cover, so I commandeered a friend's driveway to illustrate the hands-on art festival in sidewalk chalk.


Clothesline Festival, September 7, 2006
The popular arts festival held at a local art gallery was celebrating its 50th anniversary. The art for the cover is made up of previous years' t-shirt designs "hung" on a clothesline. The effect was all created in Photoshop. For the cover, I went to the art gallery and dug through a box of old t-shirts photographing them.


Park Ave. Summer Arts Fest, August 3, 2006
This festival is notoriously hard to illustrate because nothing separates it from all of the other festivals in town aside from the location. So for this cover, I took my easel, a large, empty frame and a photographer to the most popular intersection along Park Ave. He shot the empty frame on the easel and I superimposed a picture from the previous year's festival inside the frame.


The George E's, February 2, 2006
The George E's are an annual Oscar prediction contest held by the magazine. I created the neon effect on Weekend, as well as the entire marquee in Photoshop.


Musicfest, July 14, 2005
As every designer knows, great art helps make a great design. The Ciara art for this page just makes the whole layout.


Air Show, June 9, 2005
Another early cover. This cover was actually vetoed and never made it to print because, while my managing editor loved it, she wanted the Jazz Festival to have main play. I'm including it here because I've always loved the effect of the planes flying over the masthead.


Ludacris, April 28, 2005
This was one of the first covers I ever designed for the magazine, and it's always been one of my favorites.